|Date of death:||July 2, 1996|
|Cause of death:||Crushed to death|
|Played by:||Harvey Fierstein|
|First appearance:||Independence Day|
|“|| Oh, crap.
- Marty's last words.
Marty was known for his perpetual state of high anxiety and this is compounded by his stressful job of operations manager for one of the largest cable providers in America. His job was, in his words, "to be in charge of every little thing."
During the War of 1996, Marty's company was having trouble dealing with the interference appearing in every network television caused by the aliens' arrival. Marty quickly accosted David for his help to solve the problem; in which David reassure Marty that he could find a way to block the interference, thereby also allowing Compact Cable to be the only company broadcasting a clear picture in New York. Marty then express his enthusiasm by kissing David on the lips.
By the time David was cracking the interference's codes, Marty and his employees were watching a broadcast about the strange phenomenon appearing in the skies. Upon learning one such phenomenon is heading for New York, Marty evacuated his employees into the building's old bomb shelter before realizing to call his mother.
After the arrival of the City Destroyer over New York, Marty was cowering under a desk and on a telephone trying to calm his mother until David told him to tell his mother to immediately leave for Atlanta. Marty does so. When he demand an explanation from David, Marty reacted in horror of the aliens' plans to attack Earth. Although Marty attempted to leave New York, he was trapped in a traffic jam and was killed when the City Destroyer fired its weapon on the city, with his car (with him still inside) being crushed beneath debris.
|“|| There's no shame in hiding. Oh, I'd better call my mother.
- Marty, to David, after evacuating his employees.
|“|| Oh, my God! Oh my God! I gotta call my brother, I gotta call my housekeeper, I gotta call my lawyer. Nah, forget my lawyer.
- Marty reacting to David's discovery of the aliens' plans to attack.
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Harvey Fierstein's character's planted (ad-libbed) kiss on David was included in the Special Edition of the film.
- The line, "Eh, f*ck my lawyer," was said by Harvey Fierstein and the expletive was dubbed over with "forget" in the final cut.
- While stuck in traffic, Marty demands over his cellphone that he speak with Dr. Katz. The doctor is a reference to Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist in which Harvey Fierstein himself was previously a guest character on the show.