|New York City|
|Location||New York, United States|
|Events||War of 1996|
New York City, often referred to simply as New York, is a large city on the East coast of the United States of America. It is the most populous city in the U.S. and is home to the headquarters of the United Nations.
New York City was destroyed during the War of 1996. The city's famous landmarks were either damaged or completely destroyed, such as the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, the Empire State Building, the U.N. Headquarters, and the iconic Statue of Liberty. Only a few hundred people, mainly those in deep sections of the city's subway system, survived. The destruction reached as far as Staten Island and New Jersey.
After the invasion New York was partially rebuilt.
Arrival of the City DestroyersEdit
Destruction of New York CityEdit
Behind the ScenesEdit
- The smoky effects of the alien spacecraft as it moves into position above New York City (starts about 22 minutes 44 seconds into the movie) was created by a double exposure on the film. The effect comes from recording water in a tank turning murky after a clod of dirt was dropped into it.
- The Manhattan scenes were shot on location in New York during a heat wave in August 1995, with multiple car crashes and up to three hundred extras.
- The Empire State Building was replicated as a fourteen-foot tall miniature and destroyed with successive layers of primacord, gas and explosives while multiple high-speed cameras filmed the destruction from multiple vantage points.
- The post-destruction aftermath shot was involved with more than thirty layers of elements, including live action plates, a foreground miniature Statue of Liberty, forced-perspective building cutouts, dozens of smoke and fire elements and multiple scales of the alien destroyer model.
- Ironically, considering the events of the September 11 terrorist attack occurring five years in our timeline after the War of 1996, the Twin Towers were the only buildings relatively intact after the destruction of New York City; albeit heavily damaged.
- In the novelization, Central Park was the target of the City Destroyer rather than the Empire State Building.