Project Smudge was a collective of elite figures from the United States military and intelligence communities who were entrusted with the secrecy of their knowledge of extraterrestrial life.
However, Project Smudge was plagued by inter-agency rivalry which had crippled the government's research into UFO's, and most of the members were skeptical to the idea of an imminent alien invasion. Furthermore, Project Smudge was mainly focus on keeping the public ignorant of alien life in order to prevent mass panic, and using the secrecy to gain advantage over the Soviet Union in the Cold War.
In 1972, during the wake of the Watergate scandal, Project Smudge was formally dissolved in order to avoid a political fallout should their conspiracy were to be expose to the public. Albert Nimziki of the CIA consolidated the project's programs under his observation.
- Dr. Insolo - Science and Technology Directorate, Central Intelligence Agency
- Deputy Director Albert Nimziki - Central Intelligence Agency
- "Bishop" Jim Ostrom
- Mr. Jenkins - Domestic Collections Division, Central Intelligence Agency
- Dr. Podsedecki - National Security Agency
- Colonel Bud Spelman - Defense Intelligence Agency
- Dr. Immanuel Wells